Palazzo Chiericati - Civic Museum
- Piazza Matteotti.
The building (1551) is the great architect's masterpiece; it has been the home of the Civic Museum since 1855. It houses the Picture Gallery; the sixteenth- and eighteenth-century exhibition rooms will be closed until Spring 1990 for restoration work; meanwhile the mediaeval section of the Picture Gallery and the historic rooms on the ground floor may be visited.
Valmarana Chapel (Temple of Santa Corona)
- Contrà S. Corona.
The chapel (1597) is situated in the area under the choir and was designed by Palladio as a tomb for A. Valmarana; the plan and the front view are reminiscent of the chapel of the Redeemer on the island of Giudecca in Venice.
- Contrà Porti, 21.
This belongs to the early years of Palladio's activity (1552) and is noteworthy for its Raphaelesque imprint; G.B.
Tiepolo worked here in the eighteenth century and some of his frescoes can still be seen.
Palazzo Barbaran-da Porto
- Contrà Porti.
A magnificent palace built by Palladio for Count Montano Barbarano (1570) now the property of the Ministry for the Cultural Heritage which is concluding restoration work; it is intended to become the home of the Palladian Museum.
(headquarters of the Banca Popolare Vicentina)
- Contrà Porti.
This was begun by Palladio for Marc'Antonio Thiene between 1552 and 1554 and was to have become the most grandiose residence in the town, however it was never quite completed.
In the interior there are rooms with stupendous decorations and, on the first floor, the beautiful "Rotonda" with a domed vault and statues by O. Marinali.
Loggias of the Basilica
- Piazza dei Signori.
The marble Loggias (1549-1617) are the only Palladian construction in hard stone in Venice and surround the pre- existent "Palatium Vetus" of the Commune, in the Gothic style, with the typical motif of the Serlian arch. The Loggias are concluded by a balustrade with statues behind which rises the immense copper keel that covers the inner hall.
Loggia del Capitaniato
- Piazza dei Signori.
This unfinished work by Palladio is the headquarters of the Town Council. On the side facing Contrà del Monte there are statues and stucco decorations by V. Rubini to commemorate the victory in the Battle of Lepanto (October 7 1571). The frescoes in the Bernarda Room were originally in Villa Porto at Torri di Quartesolo.
- Side door on Contrà Lampertico.
This is one of the few examples of an intervention by Palladio in sacred architecture in Vicenza, along with the dome on the high deep tribune in the apse of the Cathedral.
- Corso Fogazzaro, 16.
Begun in 1566, it has a façade with gigantic pilaster strips topped by an attic; at the end are two statues of men in armour in high-relief. In the courtyard, which is unfortunately unfinished, there was to have been another loggia corresponding to the present one, beyond which there was to have been the entrance to the garden.
- Corso Palladio.
Attributed to Palladio and carried out by V. Scamozzi (1602) it is now partly owned by the Association of Industrialists of the Province of Vicenza. It has a scenic façade looking onto the inner courtyard; on the upper floor is a large hall decorated by neoclassical artists (Lorenzi, Guidolini).
- Piazza Castello.
The attribution of the original design to Palladio is certain; it was built towards the end of the sixteenth century by V. Scamozzi and is characterized by very high bases on which rest elegant composite half-columns.
Palazzo Civena-Trissino, Eretenia Nursing Home
- Viale Eretenio, 12.
This is one of Palladio's early works (1540), inspired by the tradition of Bramante and Raphael. Palazzo Civena, composed with style and elegance, is already interwoven with all those harmonious effects of chiaroscuro that were to return with greater vigour in the more mature works of the great architect.
Arch of the Scalette
- Piazzale Fraccon.
The triumphal Arch was built in 1595 by the Captain of Vicenza, G. Bragadin; the idea of the work is certainly Palladian, the actual realization is attributed to the Albanese family of architects. Beyond the Arch, 192 steps lead up to Monte Berico.
Villa Capra-Valmarana known as La Rotonda
- Via della Rotonda, 29 (bus no. 8 and no. 13).
This is Palladio's most famous villa, indeed one of the most famous in the world. It was begun in 1550 and completed around 1599. The exterior of the villa presents four perfectly identical façades with pronaoi preceded by solemn flights of steps, all in perfect harmony with the surrounding countryside. The villa made a very deep impression on innumerable artists, especially in the neo- classical period, in Europe and America.
- Bertesina (bus no. 1).
This is an unfinished work by Palladio; the villa has all the characteristics of a rural building. The façade, with three central arches topped by a pediment, places it in Palladio's early period.